The University of Alabama at Birmingham

FERPA for students

What are my rights under FERPA?
You have the right to:

  • Inspect and review your educational records
  • Seek the amendment of educational records if they are inaccurate or misleading, and in certain cases append a statement
  • Be notified of your privacy rights under FERPA
  • Limit disclosure of personally identifiable information (includes your name, address, social security number or student number, or other information which would make your identity easily traceable).
  • Prevent the disclosure of your own educational records
  • File a complaint with the FERPA Office in Washington, D.C.

When do my FERPA rights begin?
FERPA covers enrolled students. UAB considers students enrolled on the first day of the term when they begin taking classes. At this point, your admission records also become covered by FERPA.

What are "Educational Records"?
Educational records are records that are maintained by the University as part of the educational process.
They do not include alumni records, records made by the campus police, or records made for employment, medical or counseling purposes.

Who can access my confidential educational records without my permission?
UAB school officials (mainly administrative, supervisory, academic or research, and support staff) may access your educational records only where there is a demonstrated "legitimate educational interest". This includes faculty, administrative, clerical and professional employees of UAB.

What is "Directory Information"?
UAB defines the following items as Directory Information in the Student Records Policy:

  • Name
  • Address (local and permanent)
  • Telephone number
  • University e-mail (
  • CampusCard photo
  • Date of birth
  • Major field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Dates of attendance (enrollment verification)
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Institution most recently previously attended
Your class schedule is not directory information and will never be released without your permission.

What's the Solomon Amendment and how does it affect me?
The Solomon Amendment to FERPA requires institutions to provide directory-type information on students at least 17 years of age who are registered for at least 1 credit, upon request from representatives of the Department of Defense, for military recruiting purposes.

Even if an institution has a policy of not releasing directory information under FERPA, it must still comply with requests for "student recruitment information" unless the student has formally requested the school to withhold directory information under FERPA to third parties. If you do not wish your information to be released, you should complete the relevant form. (See the information below.)

What if I don't want my information released?
You can limit the release of the above information by completing a Request to Withhold Directory Information form and submitting it to the Registrar's Office. Once this request has been received, UAB will no longer release directory information about you to a third party. This privacy hold will not expire; it will continue until you revoke it.

There may be times when, by law, UAB is required to release this information. In these circumstances UAB will make every effort to notify you before your records are released to enable you to block the request if desired.

Will this have any adverse effects?
It may. If you decide to restrict information which you later wish to be released, UAB will require you to come in person to request the information or submit an official notarized request. Otherwise UAB will refuse to release all information.

This may mean:

  • Your name will not appear in the commencement brochure or any press releases
  • A prospective employer, school or insurance company will not be able to request degree or enrollment verification
  • Your contact details could not be given to family members wishing to notify you of a serious illness or crisis in the family

If I have previously restricted information, can I change my mind?
Yes. Submit a signed letter or fax to UAB's Registrar Office stating that you wish to rescind your earlier Privacy Request.

Can I find out who has requested access to my educational records?
Yes. Please submit a written request to the Registrar's Office and you will receive the information within 45 days.

Can I give permission to a parent or other person to view my records?
You can grant access on a yearly basis for up to 5 parents or guests by giving them a password through the Parent/Guess Access form on BlazerNET. Click here for more information.

You must renew the permission every year. You can remove access at any time by logging in to the Parent/Guess Access form on BlazerNET and changing the "Yes" to "No".

Who should I contact with questions or concerns?
Email with any questions, concerns or comments. Please do not include any confidential information such as SSN or student number in the email.


Print This Page