UAB Early Medical School Acceptance Program (EMSAP) Application
The EMSAP application is necessary for students wishing to apply to the Early Medical, Early Dental, or Early Optometry School Acceptance Programs.
You may enroll in EMSAP alongside additional Honors College options at UAB; however, this application will not automatically qualify you for
admission to other Honors College opportunities.
Please prepare the following items for upload in the next screen. You will not be able to log back in to this application once you submit it, so
be sure you have everything ready before you proceed to the next step. Essays and resumes must be submitted in .pdf format, and should not include
pictures or unusual fonts. You can visit this site for instructions on converting your documents to .pdf format. Acrobat Reader software, which
allows you to open and read a .pdf file, can be downloaded here. Please note that changing a document extension to .pdf does not create a true .pdf
- Resume: Prepare a resume listing your activities, interests, and accomplishments in high school.
- Essay: Write an essay of no more than 500 words using the following question as a guideline. Please tailor your essay to reflect your interest
in UAB and the EMSAP program and include your name and student number (B0XXXXXXX) on your essay:
Describe the background experiences you have and future goals that you hope to attain that may make you uniquely qualified to be a future
physician, dentist, or optometrist.
- Recommendation Letters: Please have ready the names, email addresses and phone numbers of two people who will provide letters of recommendation
in support of your application to EMSAP. You will be prompted for this information in a confirmation message following the submission of your EMSAP
application. These recommendations can be from teachers, counselors, employers, or anyone else who can speak to your potential in EMSAP at UAB.
Please make sure that these individuals know something about this program and can comment on why you would be a successful candidate for this
program. Note that EMSAP has an early deadline and that this may be the first letter of recommendation such people write for you for college, so
please request your letters well in advance of the deadline.
- In order to be considered for these three programs, you must have be admitted to UAB with an ACT score of at least 30 (or 1340 SAT, math
and critical reading sections only) and a GPA of at least 3.5. Applications not meeting these minimum qualifications will not be reviewed. Please
keep in mind that admission to EMSAP is highly selective with freshmen entering in the Fall of 2014 having an average ACT score of 34 and a High
School GPA of 4.46.
- Required High School Courses: 4 years of English, 4 years of mathematics, 1 year of chemistry or physics, and 1 year of biology.
- Only U.S. Citizens are eligible to apply.
- You may apply to only one of the three EMSAP programs.
- The deadline for submitting all required materials is DECEMBER 15th